Duerr’s were very kind in sending me some of their new Rhubarb & Custard Homebaking Jam to try. Duerr’s have created the UK’s first jam specifically designed for bakers, ensuring ‘jam retain its smooth and glossy consistency when heated, guaranteeing that your jammy filling does justice to your bake, producing a moist filling, a good wobble and a professional finish that would make Mary Berry – patron saint of bakers – proud’. I therefore decided to use this jam in a recipe to show you all – some super simple but delicious jam centred muffins. You can find out more about Duerr’s jam by clicking on this link.
You will need (makes 12):
- Duerr’s Rhubarb & Custard Homebaking Jam
- 85ml vegetable oil
- 125ml milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g self-raising flour
- 100g caster sugar
For the topping:
- 150g granulated sugar
- 100g unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Mix the oil, milk and egg together in a bowl.
- Gently fold in the flour and caster sugar. Don’t overmix. It doesn’t matter if the mixture is lumpy.
- Line a muffin tin with muffin cases and fill up each case about 1/3 full with mixture.
- Put a generous teaspoon of jam in the centre on top of each case of mixture. It should then look like this:
- Top up the cases with the remaining mixture so each case is almost full.
- Bake in the oven for 20mins until risen, like this:
- Melt the butter in a microwave for around 30 seconds until it is liquid.
- Dip the top of each muffin in the buttery liquid then dip in the granulated sugar,so they look like this:
- Bite in to them and enjoy. In the centre they should look like this: