This is a delicious mildly spiced soup that works out at only 55p a portion, making 12 portions in total which can be frozen. I like to freeze mine in individual portions.
You will need:
- 1kg sweet potato, peeled and roughly chopped
- 200g chorizo, sliced
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and roughly sliced
- 4 celery sticks, sliced
- 1 fresh red chilli, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- Bunch of fresh parsley
- 2 litres chicken stock (homemade or stock cubes with water)
- Glug of olive oil
- Put the olive oil in the largest pan you can find on a medium heat. The bigger it is the easier it will be to sweat off the vegetables.
- Add all the ingredients except the chicken stock. Sweat them down until the carrot starts to soften. Will take 10-20 minutes depending on the size of your pan. Keep stirring and control the heat so its not too high – you don’t want to burn anything.
- Whilst this is happening get your stock warm in another pan, simmering gently on a very low heat just to keep it warm.
- Once the carrots become slightly soft, add the chicken stock.
- Leave the stock to simmer gently for about 20 minutes, or until the sweet potato is soft, it may take slightly longer.
- Using a hand blender, blend the mixture, and season to taste.
- Serve whilst hot, and freeze the rest.