Continuing the spiced theme, I decided to make this spiced chocolate loaf, again from my Green & Blacks ‘Ultimate Chocolate Recipes’ book.
You will need:
- 50g dark chocolate
- 100g plain flour
- 125g icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 175g unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- 100g dark chocolate or white/milk for decoration.
- Take your butter out the fridge so it can get to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 180C and butter a loaf tin.
- Melt the 50g dark chocolate in the microwave until smooth (40 seconds should do) or in a bain-marie. Leave to cool.
- Mix the flour, sugar, spices and baking powder in a bowl.
- Add the butter, melted chocolate and eggs. Mix well until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into your buttered loaf tin and cook for 35 minutes. Test it is ready by inserting a skewer or sharp knife – if it comes out clean, its ready.
- Take the cake out of the tin to cook on a wire rack. Melt your chocolate and decorate as you desire!
You can see in my photo – my cake came out with a nice camel hump. The one in the book was perfectly rectangular with nice curved corners. If anyone can explain why mine came out with a hump, and how I can ensure it comes out level, please let me know via a comment below.